To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Simply call our office to provide us with information needed to change service into your name.  It is important for both the outgoing and incoming parties to contact us to ensure uninterupted service.  You may be requested to provide a water meter reading and the outgoing party is responsible for all charges for service up to the closing date.

If you are requesting service at a new location, please contact our office by phone for membership and installation information. Once we have determined that we are able to serve you, simply print out and complete the Service Application and Water Users Agreement from our "Forms & Reports" page and send along with membership fee of $2000.  Once the membership has been paid, an easement must be prepared and completed. In addition to the hookup fee, all new users are required to pay the cost of any distribution and service lines necessary for water service.  GRWD furnishes the meter and materials for a standard hookup, except the pipe, and will tap the main line.  GRWD has a construction policy for standard hookups costing more than $5,000. An itemized paid invoice must be submitted to GRWD to be eligible for the cost share.

Grant funds may be available through Garrison Diversion Conservancy District to assist with construction costs.  There are 2 deadlines each year to apply for the funds and once approved, construction must be completed within 2 years.  Contact our office to learn more about this program and to submit your application.

The sewer hookup fee, if required, is $750. When connecting to the rural sewer system, GRWD does not supply any parts for the install.  All costs, including the septic tank are the responsibility of the user.

You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem. We offer autopay, scheduled payments and one time payments through our payment service provider for secure, convenient and timely payments.  Simply select the green "bill payment" button on the right hand side of this site.  You may also choose to go paperless and have your monthly statements sent to you via email link.

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look. You may also experience discoloration during annual flushing and spray season. If you experience this problem, contact GRWD.  On occasion we may have you flush out your lines.  You MUST have prior authorization to flush the water through the meter to be eligible for flushing credit.  If approved by GRWD to flush, you must record the meter readings before flushing and upon completion.

Most likely your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

You must hire from a list of preapproved contractors.  These contractors are licensed and have certificates of insurance on file with GRWD.  They are familiar with our requirements for rural water or rural sewer installations.  For reasons of safety and liability, no exceptions will be made to this policy.  For a listing of approved contractors, see the forms and reports page.

GRWD treated water is considered low in hardness and it is a matter of personal preference if softer water is desired.

If you are a rural sewer customer and are experiencing sewer backup, the first step is to call GRWD.  We will dispatch personnel to check the level of your septic tank.  If the level is above the normal working level, GRWD will pump the tank and investigate further. If the tank is at working level, you will be instructed to call a plumber to investigate the reason why sewage is not flowing to the tank.  GRWD does not charge for tank investigation, but may charge to have the tank pumped if the tank is at operating level.

Sump pumps cannot be hooked into the rural sewer system.  This is a violation and you will be fined if the problem is not corrected.  GRWD pays the City of Devils Lake for wastewater treatment and this causes extra expense for treatment, potential for inundation or flooding, as well as undue wear and tear on the system.